Friday, May 27, 2011

USB 3.0 Sata Drive Dock with 1TB drive

Purchased from Newegg:
1. Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive and

2. Rosewill RX-DU300 2.5" & 3.5" USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking

Received it within 2 days. I'm going to use this between windows 7, linux and mac, so I had to figure out how to best partition and format the drive. I could've formated to FAT32 using GPARTED, but I opted to create two partitions, and format the first partition as ntfs, and the 2nd as ext2.

Formating to ntfs was done by connecting to windows 7 laptop. For the ext2 partition, I booted up the laptop using a Gparted Live CD, and was able to create and format the partition.

I now needed to test this with my windows 7 laptop. I had used ext2ifs at work, and tried to install that first. I was having some issue with the install not working with windows 7, and had to set it to win vista sp2, to get it installed. In the short time I had, I didn't figure out how to get it to work. I opted to then download ext2fsd, and had to set the compatibility to win vista sp2 to also get it installed. Once I was able to figure out how to start the ext2fsd service, I was able to recognize and use the ext2 partition from windows 7. I will test the USB 3.0 dock later with the mac and linux, and also try to get some performance benchmarks.

No comments: